Friday, November 20, 2009

RLIT

Ah, the research project. Normally I hear the word research and get really excited. In fact it is probably my favorite part of learning. For the most part I enjoy research so much because it allows you to learn things that you never would have known, but the hard part about researching this topic is that there are very limited sources on Reading Lolita in Tehran. But I have found ebsc host, a tool that I have used in my other classes, to help me find more scholarly sources on the subject matter. I used to hate ebsco with a passion, but with this project it seems to be a lifesaver. As of now I am still researching and putting together what I really want to write about. Normally I can jump right in on a paper and start writing right away. But this time is different for some reason. My mind is drawing a blank, and I have no idea where to even begin. Surprisingly, it was hard for me to formulate a thesis for this paper. I really had to push myself to think through it. It will also be hard for me to meet the required page minimum. I have always been a concise writer, short and straight to the point, and I simply can not go on and on about this subject. Do not get me wrong, six pages is in no way difficult, and it does not even come close to the longest paper I have written, but for this topic matter it exceeds what I really have to write about. Another thing I am struggling with lately is time management. Having a research paper due this time of year is everything but pleasant. It is getting busier at work with the holidays coming up; the work load in my four other classes is just about tripling; I will have to take time away from it all for thanksgiving next week; and playoffs are coming up and my team is spending more time in the gym than ever—and all this means is less time I can devote to this project, and even our other assignments for that matter. In fact just allocating and reading the second novel has been an issue. By the time I finally could find a moment to read it, I would fall asleep within ten minutes! Finally I was able to buckle down and finish it. But for now, I am slowly moving along chugging through the project.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel. Research to me is also a fun thing to do because it does inform me about things I would have never known if I didn’t have to look up, but this project was anything but fun to me. I try to just take a breath and move on through things, but yes you’re very correct when you say that the work load is getting even heavier, especially at the end of the year. I work 40 hours a week, my schedule is pretty much getting up at 4:30 for work, working till 3:30 and heading straight to school so I can be there at 4:00 till 11:00. This semester has been by far the hardest for me, and I know exactly what you mean about having to take some time away from the thanksgiving weekend, just to make sure you are caught up on everything, and you have everything that you need to be done with so you don’t have stuff piling up on you the next week. I really enjoyed reading your blog, because I felt I can relate to how much work outside of school you have as well as school homework also.

    ReplyDelete