Friday, September 4, 2009

Being Illiterate

It is hard for me to sit here and imagine being illiterate. If I was, I would not even be able to express the thoughts that I am writing at this very moment. I could not just pick up a novel and read it for pure enjoyment, I could not surf the web, chat online with my friends, or even read the instructions for a board game. I could barely have the pleasures of the world not to mention being lost in things that are completely necessary for survival in this world. How would I read driving directions to tell me how to get to my destination, how could I make since of any bus schedule? How would I be able to place a simple order at a restaurant? Not to mention the dangers of not being able to read things such as traffic warnings or alerts that are important to know.
If I was illiterate, I would feel like a mental prisoner unable to intellectually fin for myself. I imagine being a young person and being illiterate in this country. Here, where our literacy rate is about 99.8%, it is expected that everyone knows how to read or write or else be considered dumb, unintelligent, or outright stupid, which could be totally untrue. Because of this simple reason of not wanting to be judged, I would probably try to hide the fact that I am illiterate. I would probably be resistant to ask for help in situations where it was important for me and miss out on some vital information.
What about trying to get a job, how hard would that be? Employers today all require some sort of reading proficiency. From the very start of filling out a job application, to signing a contract to reading the employee manual are obstacles I would have to face on the work force. I would be stuck working mediocre jobs for mediocre salary because I simply cannot read or write. I would feel absolutely lost in this world.
I also imagine the challenges of being illiterate parent with young children that I would face. Imagine passing a sign and your little child calling out to you “mommy what’s this sign say?” I would feel completely belittled that I could not explain to my child the meaning of the sign. Or, in the same manner, what if your child asks you to read a story at bedtime, and you simply can not, again I would feel incompetent and useless. Ultimately I feel that being illiterate is a dreadful situation. Possessing the ability to read and write is crucial in the progression of life. Imagining what life would be like if I was illiterate is hard enough and I am so thankful that I am not in that situation.

2 comments:

  1. You are a powerful writer! When I read your blog the words "mental prisoner" jumped out at me very strongly. It really made me focus on what you said about being young and illiterate in this country. It is a sad thought that most people would immediately think someone is dumb or stupid becuase they are illiterate when in fact there are many reasons a person never learned how to read or write. You made a very good point about how illiterate people must feel too embarassed or fearful to ask questions and seek out help. Its an unfortunate fact that fear is a powerful feeling that can stop people from getting what they need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, I pre-maturely posted that last commenet!
    You are a powerful writer! When I read your blog the words "mental prisoner" jumped out at me very strongly. It really made me focus on what you said about being young and illiterate in this country. It is a sad thought that most people would immediately think someone is dumb or stupid because they are illiterate when in fact there are many reasons a person never learned how to read or write. You made a very good point about how illiterate people must feel too embarrassed or fearful to ask questions and seek out help. It’s an unfortunate fact that fear is a powerful feeling that can stop people from getting what they need.
    You also pointed out a lot of situations that we don’t even realize require literacy. I had considered all that I would miss out on were I illiterate, but there were many small seemingly simple situations you mentioned, that as an illiterate person, would be a daunting task to try and make sense of things. It’s sad to think of the many people out there who are put into these situations on a daily basis with no tools to communicate with.
    I look forward to reading more of your blogs! You’re a really gifted writer and you present many thought provoking points. You are a powerful writer!

    ReplyDelete